Thursday, August 4, 2011

What are Your Thoughts on the New Superman?

Look, up in the sky!  It's a bird!  It's a plane!  It's...SUPERMAN!  [cue fanfare]

I am a young man in my early twenties.  Therefore, it may surprise you to learn that some of my earliest exposures to the Man of Steel was with the 1940's Max Fleischer cartoon serials.  They were simple, they were short, but they were awesome.  Two of my favorite episodes:  the episode where Superman saves Metropolis from giant robots stealing jewelry, and the episode where a perfectly preserved dinosaur frozen in a block of ice is thawed and rampages through the city.  Good times.

Since then, I've always had a special place in my heart for the son of Krypton.  As I got older and reveled in the darkness of people a little more, Batman usurped Superman as my DC man of choice, but I still have a soft spot for the dude in the blue.  There's something so interesting about him.  Think about it:  he has all of the power to make him a god of this world--heat vision, flight, super strength, super speed, frost breath, etc.  He could easily of come to this planet of strangers and decided that he wanted to take it for his own.  But he didn't.  Not only did he decide to become a hero and protect us from the terrors of universe, but he does so virtually uncongratulated.  Sure people talk about how awesome "Superman" is, but he chooses to live a quiet, humble existence as a reporter for the Daily Planet.  Not some highfalutin athlete or television star.  He chooses to quickly help people and escape into the shadows, back to his quiet life as an awkward, disrespected-even-by-his-own-peers reporter.  Even the girl of his dreams--Lois Lane--has no real respect for him.  All her thoughts are wrapped up in Superman.

While it's fascinating to think about how Superman's secret identity is Superman, while all other superheroes' secret identities are their superhero counterparts, it's more interesting to me, to look at the choices that he chooses to make.  He honestly believes in the good people can do, or he wouldn't sacrifice so much to keep us safe.

Now, that's some deep stuff, you have to admit.  So let me explain my excitement for the new Man of Steel coming out soon-ish.  Christopher Nolan has already proven that he's a man who can create the most complex characters in cinema.  Just watch Memento and tell me you don't get chills.  And he manages to make awesome movie after awesome movie--The Prestige, Inception, etc.  He even brought legitimacy to a man who dresses up like a bat and stops crime.  Tell me, when you watch The Dark Knight, are you really thinking about the fact that you're watching a Batman film, or are you busy wrapped up in the fantastic cat-and-mouse play of a great detective movie?

Now think about what he could do with someone who takes the weight of the safety of the world on his shoulders.  True, he's not directing it--that's going to Zac Snyder.  But he's gonna be the producer of the thing.  And I can't wait to see how it turns out.  But it's not all about me.  I want to hear from you.  What are your impressions of the new Superman movie?  How do you think Zac Snyder will do?  What do you think of the new dude they cast to play the Man of Steel?  How do you think this will stack up against the last movie--Superman Returns?  Did you like that one?  I'd love to hear about all of these things, or none of these things, from you in the comments.

This is a still from the new Superman movie.  Click for a larger image.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't like Memento. It just annoyed me. No chills, only sighs.
    Now, with Zack Snyder directing, and Christopher Nolan involved, it will probably be like Watchmen, a dark comic book turned to movie. I only hope that Nolan can keep it from going the route of Sucker Punch. Because I will walk out of the theatre. But, alas! it stars Amy Adams as the main love interest, and not the latest Disney girl gone rouge. So, cautious optimism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't like Memento because you don't like non-traditional narratives of any sort. In a word, sweetie...you're boring. :P And Snyder's work has been pretty good--Watchmen was awesome and 300 was pretty cool. Sucker Punch was his only fumble, and visually it was fine. It was the story that was awful. But since the story isn't being touched by Snyder and is instead being written by Christopher Nolan's brother--the same guy who wrote The Dark Knight, Batman Begins...and I think Memento...it'll be great.

    ReplyDelete

This where you post your head dumpings. I don't mind disagreement if you're polite, well-thought-out, and civil. However, I decide what is and isn't acceptable. I reserve the right for my underground dwelling Comment Goblins to capture and devour any post they see fit.