Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Nora Ephron (May 19, 1941 – June 26, 2012)

Photo by: David Shankbone
Nora Ephron, writer of such films When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, and more recently, Julie and Julia, has passed away.

It's always a shame when someone so influential to the world leaves us behind.  It's easy to say that the world is a darker place because of their absence.  I would argue that the world is a much brighter place because she was here.  She written and directed some fantastic and funny movies.  As one whose international gender symbol comes equipped with an arrow rather than a plus sign, I was often mocked for enjoying Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail, but I did, I still do, and I thank her for how much fun those movies were.

I haven't seen Julie and Julia.  I intended to, because, y'know, I always found Julia Child entertaining.  Now I think I'll have to go rent it and toast a glass of scotch to Ms. Ephron while I watch.

Thank you, Nora Ephron, for great, smart, funny movies, strong messages for women, and this: