Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Weep Glorious Tears of Red, White, and Blue with President Pullman!


Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

I have grown up watching Independence Day approximately 82,000 times.  It is one of my favorite movies.  It includes Will Smith punching an alien in the head, Jeff Goldblum being Jeff Goldblum (who happens to be one of my favorite characters in movie history), Randy Quaid being paranoid as shit--and awesome, and after the speech quoted above, I would have elected Bill Pullman president with no hesitation.  Hell, I'd still elect him president.  C'mon, Pullman, get your act together!  Let's do this!  PULLMAN 2012!

That speech above may be the greatest thing to ever be captured on film, and so, for you American's out there, read it, enjoy it, watch the movie, and weep joyous tears of red, white, and blue.  For you non-Americans, I'm sure you can enjoy a good speech when you read it/hear it.  Feel free to cry your flag's colors instead, if you so choose.

3 comments:

  1. I remember when that movie came out, only it wasn't just a movie, it was an Event, with a capital E. I still remember the tagline from the poster: "Don't make plans for August." I even read the novelization. Nobody does heroic, end of the world disaster movies like Mr. Emmerich. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see it in theaters, but we did get it on VHS when it came out. I watched it over and over and over again.

      Yeah, Emmerich's movies are always big and epic--even if they are often really stupid. 2012 was awesomely stupid. So much fun while also being so dumb.

      Delete
  2. For sure. 10,000 b.c. anyone? Stargate, however, is much less stupid than the rest and one of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete

This where you post your head dumpings. I don't mind disagreement if you're polite, well-thought-out, and civil. However, I decide what is and isn't acceptable. I reserve the right for my underground dwelling Comment Goblins to capture and devour any post they see fit.