Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Google Autofill Game: "Can I...?"

Wikimedia Commons

Alrighty, today, ladies and gentlemen, we’re going to play a little game.  It’s called the Google Autofill Game.  John Green, YA author and video blogger extraordinaire, plays this game on his Swindon Town Swoodilypooper videos.
The Google Autofill Game begins with a question entered into Google, and then each letter of the alphabet.  Today’s question is “Can I...”

Can I afford a house?

Erm...that depends.  Look at your money.  Do you have more than enough money to both pay the price of the house without going broke?  Yes?  Then yes.  No?  Then no.  Can you afford the loan payments without losing everything?  Yes?  Then yes.  No?  Then no.

Can I be pregnant?

This is a moment when you have to go back to basic biology.  Do you have a penis? Then no.  Do you have a vagina?  Have you always had a vagina?  Then yes.
Photo By:  Tax Credits

Can I change my Apple ID?

I have no idea.  I don’t know anything about Mac products.  My wife and I have one iPod Touch between us that we rarely use.  We have iTunes, but I don’t buy music from them very often.  I either buy from AmazonMP3 or physical CDs.  I know, how cute and antiquated, right?

Can I donate blood?

There are a lot of restrictions on donating blood.  There’s a height restriction (too short? No blood donating for you!), a weight restriction (too light?  No blood donating for you!).  There may be a certain amount overweight you can’t be, I’m not sure.  I know you can’t have blood pressure that’s too high.  I recommend that you look up the specifics, though, just to make sure.

Can I eat my period?

I...don’t even know what this means.  I mean...are you Pac-Man?  Do you wander around a maze eating those tiny dots?  Because you know, there’s only so many periods in the world.  Each time you eat one, that’s another sentence that goes unpunctuated.  Can you imagine what today’s youths’ sentences would read like if you weren’t so reckless about your punctuation eating?  Honestly, you should eat commas instead.  People way overuse them anymore.

Photo By:  Michael Hiemstra
Can I freeze tomatoes?

Actually, I’m almost 100% certain you can.  I mean, tomatoes are largely made up of water, and water can freeze.  So, yeah, tomatoes can freeze.  Should you?  I dunno.  It probably doesn’t really do much to maintain its freshness or texture, but it does at least keep it...not...rotten.

Can I get a refill?

Don’t be a douche.

Can I have your number?

Ha!  You wish.  You don’t know awesome until you’ve talked to me on the phone for hours and hours and hours about movies.

Can I increase my alimony?

Maybe?  Possibly?

Can I jailbreak?

I don’t recommend attempting jailbreaks.  I’ve seen the Count of Monte Cristo and other movies of similar subject matter, and they rarely turn out well for the main character.  Except for The Shawshank Redemption.  But, I mean, seriously, that dude took years to set up his plan.  Besides, leading a jailbreak involves being morally gray at best, and absolutely breaking the law.

Photo By:  Toy Eater of Flickr
Can I kick it?

Personally, I’m pretty okay with kicking it old school, myself, homeskillet.  I like to keep it chill.  I’m certainly okay with you keeping it real, as well, but I would prefer if you don’t kick it in my pad, ya know?  It’s a personal space thing, dude, for reals.  Just, you know, go find your own space.

Can I live lyrics?

I think living lyrics is a questionable practice at best.  Some songs have an inspirational message that you should, by all means, feel free to apply to your life.  But, I mean, how are you going to live by “I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.”  I mean, I guess I can see a sort of “We are one” idea, but honestly, good luck living by such ideas.

Now, if you mean you want to live a lyrical life, you should look to John Green, Joe Hill, and John Scalzi if you want a study in what it’s like to be a classy son of a bitch.

Can I marry Lydia in Skyrim?

I have not played Skyrim, and I have no idea whom Lydia is.  That said, I wish you and Lydia all the best.

Photo By:  Lesley Middlemass
Can I Nair my nuts?

Can you?  I’m sure.  But should you?  I don’t recommend it.  I'm fairly certain that Nair shouldn't be eaten--in fact, it's probably poisonous.  Besides, think about it, it would probably burn the shit out of your mouth...tongue...cheeks...throat...on the way down.

Can I opt out of Social Security?

I don’t think so.  I’m pretty sure it’s an all-in system.  I’m pretty sure you can choose not to claim the money you’ve paid in, but I’m not sure you get a choice on the actual paying.

Can I play it?

A song?  If you know the instrument and the music.  A video game?  More than likely.  A board game?  Most definitely.  Game with my heart?  I wish you wouldn’t.

Can I qualify for a mortgage?

I honestly have no idea.  I’m not even entirely sure what goes into that kind of thing.  I’m still in a “rent rather than own” phase.

Photo By TC Davis
Can I run it?

Windows?  Probably.  Linux?  More than likely--it takes up virtually no space.  A foot race?  I guess that depends on how in shape you are.  I certainly can’t.  I went for a walk a few days ago, and I’m still sore from it.

Can I stream it?

Who freakin’ knows anymore?!  Netflix has different rules than Hulu that has different rules from the regular broadcasting companies--most of which suck.  Personally, the internet exclusive content--like Vlogbrothers, Ze Frank, and basically anything on the Geek & Sundry channel--can and is definitely worth being streamed.

Can I track my iPhone?

Yes.  I recommend turning out the lights so you can see the glow of its little screen.  Then you can see it easily when it cuts across the room and tries to hide under the couch.  Catching it is a whole different matter.

Can I use PayPal on Amazon?

No.  PayPal is an eBay company.  Amazon is...not eBay.  That’s like asking if...Walmart accepts Target giftcards.

Photo By: James Adams
Can I vote?

I’ll stick to US law.  Are you 18?  Are you registered?  Then yes.  As a matter of fact, I highly recommend it.  Apathy about our political process is one of the worst things you can have, because so much of it affects your life and how you live it.

Can I yell at a cop?

It’s not advisable.  I guess it would depend on the situation, but I’m pretty sure they can nab you for being belligerent or something.

Can I Zumba while pregnant?

Erm...maybe?  I’m pretty sure that exercise is recommended while pregnant, but at a certain point, you’re not really supposed to strain yourself a whole lot.  So, I would say, check with your doctor.

4 comments:

  1. Knowing what the "can I eat my period" was actually referring to, I'm amazed and grossed out that anyone would ever google that, let alone that it would be googled enough for google to autofill with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did some research on it, and from what I've read, it's a troll comment that people post on "ask" websites like Yahoo Answers and such. But, yeah, even still...ew...

      Delete
  2. Also, yes, you can use paypal on Amazon. I do all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's odd. Amazon says they don't...maybe it's different for 3rd party sellers?

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=513058

      Delete

This where you post your head dumpings. I don't mind disagreement if you're polite, well-thought-out, and civil. However, I decide what is and isn't acceptable. I reserve the right for my underground dwelling Comment Goblins to capture and devour any post they see fit.