Thursday, December 27, 2012

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Ukulele Owner


As you can see, I am the owner of a new ukulele.  It's not an expensive one because it would be silly for my wife to have gotten me an expensive one since I'm just learning how to play.  I did buy new strings as my uke came with metal strings that snapped pretty quickly.  Now I have nylon strings from the local music store--which was an awesome experience.  The guy was super friendly and I'm looking forward to going back--possibly buying a slightly better uke from him once I've practiced some.

Anyway, the uke.  It's one of the cheap ones they sell at Barnes and Noble. Nothing fancy, and it doesn't need to be. I looked up some YouTube videos on how to string a ukulele, and I felt pretty accomplished with myself when I was done.

At first, I looked up some cool ukulele covers of popular songs, but those are all much too out of my depth at the moment, so I started looking up beginner songs and beginners lessons. Since my uke came with an instruction booklet, I've been using it and supplementing with free videos and audio lessons I can find on the internet.  I can't really attest to how good the playing is, but it's been a ton of fun.

I'm getting pretty adept at "I've Been Working on the Railroad," and "Clemetine" is coming along pretty nicely. "Amazing Grace" is fairly easy to play, but doesn't sound right, so I've sort of skipped that one. I might try to find a more complicated arrangement once I've put a bit more practice under my belt.

By the way, if you notice any egregious typos, try to forgive me, yeah?  I've never played guitar or anything really before and let's just say--OW OW OW MY FINGERS ARE OWIE.

So, there you have it.  New uke. Lots of fun fiddling with it. Beware, between my ukulele, my new TARDIS earflap hat (pictured above), I may be insufferable.

Obviously my Christmas was fantastic. Hope yours was as well. Now if you'll excuse me.  I need to go ice my fingers.

2 comments:

  1. Okay. Love the earflap hat.

    Have you ever heard Jake Shimabukuro wail on the uke? If not, you need to. Check this out:

    http://youtu.be/puSkP3uym5k

    Or maybe some Bohemian Rhapsody:

    http://youtu.be/snPQ1z5FoqQ

    Have fun nuking your uke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, thanks for the hat love. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but it's actually made to look like the TARDIS from Doctor Who. My wife got it for me because she knows I'm a nerd.

      I've never heard of Jake Shimabukuro before, but I watched those videos and he's INCREDIBLE! Thank you for sharing that!

      Delete

This where you post your head dumpings. I don't mind disagreement if you're polite, well-thought-out, and civil. However, I decide what is and isn't acceptable. I reserve the right for my underground dwelling Comment Goblins to capture and devour any post they see fit.