Monday, December 17, 2012

Hopeful Reading Plans

Photo by:  Honou of Flickr
As 2012 draws to a close, I can't help but look back and reflect.  It's been a good year--actually a very good year considering the last few I've had.  That said, I can't help but feel fatigue, and I think a lot of that comes from the fact that I've had almost no time to read.

Recently, my wife and I have been fortunate enough to go see a ton of movies.  However, movies and TV shows are different than reading.  Movies and television are passive things.  You don't participate when you watch a movie or television show.  I mean, I think I've learned a lot about story telling lately, just by watching a crap-ton of movies, but I can feel my brain getting flabby.

I desperately long for a day where I can just vegetate and read all day.  Get lost in a book and read the hell out of it.  Currently, I'm reading Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan, Mockingbird by Chuck Wendig, a non-fiction book called It's Worse Than it Looks (about the current state of politics in our country), and I just bought a book about Krampus called, fittingly, Krampus by Brom.  I'd love to read one or any of these books.  And those are just the ones I've read semi-lately.  I also started 'Salems Lot a while back, but couldn't really dedicate the time I needed to it because of work and other things.  There's also a few books that the wife and I bought together that she's read, but I haven't had the chance to get through.  And I've been re-reading The Hobbit...but as the movie got closer, even though I love it so much, it felt like an obligation to read it rather than just pleasure.

I'm thinking in the upcoming weeks as work gets a little less crazy, I'm going to try to dedicate more time to reading.  I have some free time coming up that will allow me a few lost-in-the-awesome-of-reading days, but I think I can start working in a little more ahead of time.

I'm thinking that this total lack of time to read has been part of why I can't write any words of any real sort lately.  I think my creative tank is empty--it's been OUTPUT, OUTPUT, OUTPUT with work sapping it dry almost daily--and I need a bit to recharge.

Over the next few weeks, I'm also going to try to remake my schedule that I made a few months ago.  I had one over the summer that worked well.  I stuck to it pretty well.  And I had one a few months ago that allowed me to be a little more productive, but not long after making it, life dropped a series of bunker-buster warheads down and blew my plans to smithereens.  As 2012 rolls into 2013, however, I think I can craft a schedule that allows me to write semi-regularly while also allowing me time to consume creative works (including reading) that should refill the ol' creative tanks.

I'll let you know how this all goes, but I'm relatively hopeful at this point.  We shall see, however.  As the poem goes, "The best laid schemes of mice and men / Go often awry."