Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Resolution Recap


As I mentioned previously, I made some resolutions.  To refresh your memories:

1. Healthify myself.

2. Walk more.

3. Read more.

4. Read diversely.

5. Sleep more and better.

6. Write more.

7. Blog more.

8. Unplug from the internet.

_______________________________

You may be vaguely interested in how that's been going two weeks into the New Year

1. Healthify myself.

I have, as of today, lost around 6 pounds in the past two weeks.  I'm generally pleased, but not too surprised as that was about how my weight went last year as well.  I'll continue counting calories and avoiding sugars where possible.  It's been pretty easy--except in the evening when I get bored and snacky and want to mack on something greasy and fried and delicious.  Mmmmmm.  Dammit! I'm making myself hungry, and I'm out of calories.

I'm using the mobile app of MyFitnessPal for those interested.

2. Walk more.

I haven't really walked yet.  The first week was playing catch up with some work that fell behind while I was on vacation, so this week will be things really getting into the swing of things.

3. Read more.

This I've been doing in spades. I've read way more than an hour a day for the past few days because I was trying to tackle Stephen King's 11/22/63, and I'll be damned if that thing didn't suck me in.  I quite enjoyed it, too.  Exciting but also atmospheric.  King's good at that.  And I like that it went places other than where you expect.  Another thing King is good at.  And now I'm halfway through Kevin Hearne's Trapped, the fifth book in the Iron Druid Chronicles.

4. Read diversely.

This is honestly more of a long term goal.  I don't have much progress to report beyond that I have looked at and added a few things to my Amazon cart to someday buy when I have money.  I bought the urban fantasy anthology Chicks Kick Butt, which is an anthology about chicks by chicks.  I'll probably crack that one open next.  I also have the first of Mira Grant's Newsflesh series on my nightstand, and a political history book.  In good time, I suppose.

5. Sleep more and better.

This has been rather hit and miss.  So far, I went to bed at fairly decent hours last week, but last night got rather fucked thanks in part to my dog's loud ass snoring, but in a much larger part thanks to my neighbor's dog and his insane need to bark at every little thing at 11:00 at night and not stop until 12:30 or later.

6. Write more.

As with walking more, this was a resolution that got put on a back burner because of work that needed catching up from my vacation.  I'm hoping this week I can begin working in my writing time better.

7. Blog more.

I've been doing a fair job of this, although, again, last week was work and less play.  This week, things seem to have leveled back down to normal levels of crazy. I've written a few blog posts (including this one), and the weekends seem to be a pretty good time for me to keep up with the bloggy stuff.

8. Unplug.

Last weekend was the trial run of the "unplugging from the Internet" experiment.  We laid down some ground rules before Dead Time.  We allowed each other Friday to get any internet stuff we needed done, but once midnight hit, the desktop computer was shut down and our phones were put on flight mode except when absolutely necessary.  The biggest things to avoid were the social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.  Those are dangerous time sucks on the best of days.

I found unplugging rather easier than my wife, but I expect this has a bit to do with me having a day job and not being able to access my phone for long stretches of time throughout the day.  She's home when she's not in class, so she's on her phone much more than I am.

We had a few exceptions to the "no internet" rule.  One involved the PlayStation 3, which has been the center of our internetainment in our house.  We don't have cable or satellite, so we use Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime to supplement.  Since those are internet-necessary things, we couldn't just shut down the 'net completely.  In addition, we are a part of the MoviePass program (which I'll talk more about some other time), and that requires accessing their site on our phones to use their services.  And once we made an exception so my wife could check the weather because...y'know...necessary information.

The internet went back on at 5:00 Sunday evening.

All in all, I consider it a success, and I think it'll come to be a time of the month that I really look forward to.  No internet, no social media, no constant distractions.  It makes living in the now much easier, appreciating the stuff around you.  You notice more.  You see people.

How are your resolutions going--if, that is, you made any?  Update us in the comments.