Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Senate Blocked Universal Background Checks Today

Today, the senate chose the cowing to lobbyist groups was better than doing their duty, both to represent and enact the will of the American people and to protect us.

Today, the senate decided that money from special interest groups was worth more than the lives of our children.

Today, the senate decided that my wife's father, a man with several felonies (including domestic violence) should be able to waltz into a local gun show and buy a gun with now issues because it would be too much work and "infringe on the rights of gun owners."  As in, the rights of the gun owners to own guns is more important than our rights not to be shot by those guns.

Gabby Giffords, a victim of this type of crime, is incensed.  As she should be.
"Mark my words: if we cannot make our communities safer with the Congress we have now, we will use every means available to make sure we have a different Congress, one that puts communities’ interests ahead of the gun lobby’s. To do nothing while others are in danger is not the American way."
 Via A Senate in the Gun Lobby’s Grip | The Opinion Pages - The New York Times

I am ashamed that my representative voted against this bill.  I'm ashamed that my state is one that--of course--voted to continue the cycle of blood and death.  I'm ashamed in my government.

Please keep these votes in mind come 2014.  Please remember this.  Remember the pain of those dead children.  Remember that it doesn't have to be this way.  Vote them out.