Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I'm Back! (And a Comic Recommendation)

I feel a bit silly that the last thing I posted for several days was me indulging in some venting and whining.  It wasn't my intention to just post something like that and disappear.  I didn't ragequit or anything.  I just had a whole bunch of things pop up afterward, and then decided to take a vacation from the internet.

I haven't been on Twitter, G+, Facebook, Blogger, or any of the other 1000 social media networks that have started dominating our lives.  And how was it?  Quiet.  Nice and quiet. I didn't read the news, I didn't worry about writing stories, I didn't worry about blog posts, I didn't worry about my job.  I didn't worry about the latest political scandals, or the latest horrible shit happening because someone said something horribly offensive.  I just watched TV, read, and overall relaxed.

I am back now, and I have things I need to begin doing again, but my head feels much clearer.  I trimmed my Twitter follows a bit to clear out some of the clutter and bad news and such, which helped.

I don't just want this to be a post about me being back--because that feels so useless and boring--so I'm going to make a recommendation.

While I was gone, I rekindled my love of comics.  I'll go into more detail later, but I started reading a few new books, and I wanted to give my recommendation just the same.

Semi-recently in Marvel Comics, Ms. Marvel--noted female superhero--got a new costume and a new name.  Specifically, she took over the name Captain Marvel--who used to be a male superhero/alien that died a while back and should not be confused with DC's Captain Marvel.  Anyway, I bought the first volume of the trade collections on a whim, and I really, really enjoyed what I read.

image from: Goodreads
The first issue is a sweet, funny one-off sort of introducing Carol Danvers to the reader (if you need such a thing) and establishing her decision to take over the new moniker.  The rest of the issues deal with her suddenly being warped through time and meeting up with different bad-ass females throughout history, including a troop of female soldiers in WWII and Carol's personal hero and one of the first (fictional) female pilots, Helen Cobb.

The artwork for the first three or four issues is pretty bad.  The penciling is fine, it's the inking and coloring that makes it way too dark at times.  It does get better in the latter half of the book, although it sort of swings from one extreme to the other.

I really enjoyed this story, and I want to see it continue, despite the shakey artwork.  This character deserves to have more of her story told.  So, if you're looking for a new read, and/or you've never read comics and want a place to start, this is a great place to check out, with a strong, funny female superhero written like a person with plenty of action and character drama balanced well.

(P.S. I know there's a volume 2 to this.  It's on my list, I just haven't had the money to get it yet.  Someday soon, I assure you.)