Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Moment to Squee

© EW/Doane Gregory/Red Granite Pictures
Since Monday's post was very Serious, and about Very Serious Things, I wanted to take a moment to talk about things that make me very happy.  Basically, some squee-worthy moments (for me at least).

One thing that I want to squee about in a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY AND GIVE ME THAT YOU HEARTLESS TORMENTER" sort of way is how excited I am to hopefully eventually see Horns.  I absolutely love Joe Hill's book.  It was my first experience with him, and it was a great, exciting, tragibeautiful read.  I didn't find it quite as spooky as his previous book, Heart Shaped Box, but it was indeed a great book.

A while back, Joe Hill announced that they were adapting Horns into a film starring Daniel Radcliffe. I was so excited that I nearly passed out.

Well...the wait appears to be (sort of) over.  They premiered the film at the Toronto International Film Festival.  Joe Hill has announced that he was really pleased with the adaption, and the early buzz appears to be good.  However, despite what it says many places on the internet, there is not release date for the film yet.  It's supposedly coming out in October, but Mr. Hill says that's not the case.

And all I want to do is scream!  C'mon, man!  Give me the film!  I need this!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!

*pant pant pant*

Okay, fine.  I'll wait.

The OTHER thing that made me squee like a small child on Christmas relates to one of my new-found loves: comics.

My favorite comic right now is Captain Marvel.  Formerly Miss Marvel, Carol Danvers took up the mantle of Captain Marvel in her own solo series a while back, and I've been absolutely hooked.  The art has been hit or miss for me, but the story is freaking good that I can forgive overly dark--or just overly goofy--art.

So, I came back from watching the absolutely atrocious Riddick, and my wife cheered me up with this news:
“There’s obviously a drumbeat that is banging louder and louder that we want a female lead superhero,” he says. ”… [W]e have strong female characters in our films from Black Widow to Pepper Potts to Peggy Carter and you never know. Maybe there’s an offshoot film with one of them. Or Captain Marvel, you know?” -- Marvel Studios' co-president Louis D'Esposito to ComingSoon.net.
 FUCKING CAPTAIN MARVEL WOULD BE AMAZING TAKE MY MONEY PLEASE SHUT UP AND TAKE IT!!!!!

Then, Katee Sackhoff (from Battlestar Galactica and horrible--through no fault of her own--Riddick) mentioned that she's in talks with Disney to possibly work on a project.  Now, Disney's a huge company with tons of projects, and so it's completely ridiculous to assume that Sackhoff is negotiating to play Captain Marvel.  And I get that.  These speculations are so nebulous I could disperse them with a wave of my hand.

But let's look at this side-by-side comparison of Katee Sackhoff and Captain Marvel and dream a little, 'kay?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DISNEY/MARVEL, MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!!!