Thursday, October 31, 2013

Here, Have a Pumpkin


Pictured above are the pumpkins that my wife and I carved last night in order to convince the Great Pumpkin to drop by and bring us presents. The two smaller ones were done by my wife, while the larger one was done by me.

If you don't know what Night Vale is a reference to, stop what you are doing and go here now. It's a twice-monthly podcast in the style of radio broadcasts from a small-town, local NPR kind of thing. Only Night Vale is basically if Stephen King and HP Lovecrafts monsters packed up and moved into the desert. It is very entertaining.

Our plans for Halloween are not very busy or crazy. I think I'll slap together an easy costume (mostly an excuse to wear jeans) for work, but as for home? The wife and I will just stay in and watch some TV or movies. (I'd like to watch Tales from the Crypt, but my wife is a weenie that thinks the Crypt Keeper is scary instead of endearing. Can you believe that nonsense?) Oh, and we'll hand out candy. Because this is America and we teach our kids not to accept candy from strangers except for one night out of the year when it's totally okay.

Things have been a bit rough at the ol' Casa del Nerdish lately. Originally, I thought that my schedule would clear up a couple of weeks ago. Instead, while things did get slightly better, they haven't gone completely back to normal. My day job still has me very busy lately. And while I've been happily sending out some stories, they have not been happily accepted, which is always a bummer.

NaNoWriMo is almost here. I will not be participating. Because I barely have time to breathe, much less try to cram in 1700 words a day. And this season is one of the busiest times of the year, with Thanksgiving coming soon, and work building up more steam. So I'll pass this time.

That's all for now. Back to the mines.

(Seriously, though, listen to a few episodes of Welcome to Night Vale. It's the perfect Halloween treat.)