Monday, February 3, 2014

Cooking, But Rarely

The wife and I have spent the weekend doing BIG IMPORTANT THINGS. These are things that we're very excited and nervous about and can't really talk about yet as they very well may not amount to anything. Still. Exciting. This is an exciting year.

In other news that I can talk about, however, in an attempt to get a better handle of this whole "be an adult and stop spending all of your money on shit you don't need to for god's sake get it together" thing, we have decided to dip our toe into this whole "cook once a month thing."

Whenever I watched TV growing up, I noticed that parents would say to their kids "there's a meal in the freezer, just follow the direction on the package."

And I would be thunderstruck by the awesome. But I never knew how to go about it.

Recently-ish, some friends had a baby. We went over to visit them, and they were cooking a whole bunch of shit to freeze so that, what with the whole "baby keeping them busy" thing, they could just pop something into the oven and have a quick meal that would be good to go. I liked this idea. This was an economical idea.

So, this weekend, we finally took the plunge and decided to buy the ingredients to make some food to freeze and prepare later. I spent four or five hours last night cooking, and three or four hours this morning. I decided to make jambalaya, lasagna, a double batch of chili (because, chili, duh), and a rice/chicken/bake/casserole thingy.

The idea being, we can pull one of these bad boys out of the freezer every now and then for the next few weeks to warm up for a meal. This should help us avoid being so tired that we don't want to cook.

Pictured, four bags of chili, two bags of jambalaya, and a lasagna, ready to go when needed.
Writing-wise, I haven't really done much. It's been a busy bit at work. I need to get back into the habit. No excuses. Reading Kameron Hurley's post has me examining my own habits regarding work, writing, and other things in life, and looking at ways to improve them. Because Tobias Buckell, Kameron Hurley, Chuck Wendig, and Myke Cole appear to be fucking cyborgs made of spare typewriter parts and programmed with the software cds from Merriam-Webster and Microsoft Word, and I know that I have really no excuses for my lack of writing lately.