Monday, April 7, 2014

Settling in at the New Casa

Springtime should be when everyone starts shaking off their winter blues, going outside, and getting frisky...or at least, I assume that’s what you’re supposed to do. It’s what my dog does, anyway. It’s when my birthday falls, so I have a particular affinity for it. I haven’t reached that age yet where the years feel like water slipping between the fingers of my cupped hands, so I don’t really mind birthdays, and spring seems an appropriate time for celebrations of birth.

Spring in Arkansas has a special meaning, however. It means storms. The old cliche “April showers bring may flowers” is true, but only if a tornado doesn't come and rip your poor bed up by their spindly roots.

The first night in our new house, we experienced a special treat: a thunderstorm. I decided to record the moment for posterity, because my new backyard looks into a cemetery. I was too perfect to pass up.


I tried to snap a picture of a lightning flash, but I couldn't time it right.

But it seemed the picturesque moments didn't want to end. Because about an hour or so later, i went out back to let my dog out and managed to snap this beautiful shot as well.


So that’s nice.

We’re settling into the new house just great. I’m fond of our backlot neighbors. They’re quiet, and keep to themselves. Can’t ask for much more than that.