Thursday, May 1, 2014

Night Owl, Hoot Hoot



Attribution Some rights reserved by jeffreyw of Flickr
For some reason, I do not function like a normal person.

Most people, the sun comes up, it's time to go to work. Sun goes down, it's time for bed.

This is not how my brain works.

I notice it most whenever I'm working on something creative. I can do fine during the day--assuming I'm not excessively tired. It may not feel great, but I can pump out some okay things.

But at night. At night it's like someone punched in the correct combination. The tumblers all fall into place, the gates fall away, and all of the things my brain kept just out of sight come tumbling down. I feel like I do my best writing between 8:00 and 9:00, although I can be up until 2 or 3 AM and still feel great pumping out stuff--although sleepy.

This is especially interesting because I rarely dream. You'd think that my brain, being so creative at night that it feels like my fingers can't move fast enough to type sometimes, would channel some of that creatively into late-night entertainment for my idle brain, but no. I rarely remember my dreams. The ones I do remember are nightmares and stress dreams when I'm feeling particularly crunched.

Psychology Today says I'm more intelligent than my morning person counterparts, but I'm not so sure they're not just trying to flatter me into doing stuff for them. Seems like every time I turn around, they want something from me. Last time, I let them borrow my car, and they brought it back with the tank nearly empty. Assholes.

I wish that I could get a work schedule where I could indulge these creative impulses. I mean, it's not that I can't start writing at 8, but I'm usually busy at that time cleaning up after dinner, or going to bed because I have to get up at 6 and need time to wind down or I can't sleep.

It's something I'm still working on. Hopefully I can get this figured out eventually.