Monday, July 7, 2014

Do You Like Potato Salad?

So, apparently on Kickstarter, someone started a Kickstarter for potato salad. Not any particular kind of potato salad, mind, or with any sort of lofty goal in mind. He's pretty straightforward. "Basically I'm just making potato salad. I haven't decided what kind yet," he says of the initial goal.

The original goal was $10.

But there are some pretty harrowing risks to backing a project like this. "It might not be that good. It's my first potato salad."

So, this dude creates essentially a gag Kickstarter, and the internet--lovers of irony that we are--have awarded him $38,000 as of this writing. Holy Jesus Christ, you guys.

I love the dude's reaction to this, too. He's a baffled as the rest of the world. If you look on the Kickstarter page, there are a few attempts to line out some stretch goals, but you can see the moment when things start to spiral way out of his own control. He jumps from $350 to $1000, then $1200, then he says this:
A BIG STRETCH GOAL:
We're really tearing through these stretch goals. I honestly don't know what is realistic anymore. So, I thought maybe we try to double the current number?
$3000: My kitchen is too small! I will rent out a party hall and invite the whole internet to the potato salad party (only $10 and above will be allowed in the kitchen)! The internet loves potato salad! Let's show them that potato salad loves the internet!!
This is amazing. I mean, I know that we could all be cynical right now and talk about how this $38,000 could have gone to a literary magazine or a charity or something, but...c'mon. This guy just raised nearly $40,000 for potato salad.

Maybe we're all gonna be okay, after all.


*Just in case anyone is getting too curmudgeonly, I'd like to point out that Reading Rainbow has raised over $5 million on Kickstarter, and has moved on to raise another $10 million on some new crowdfunding thing called BackerKit. So, it's not all potato salad, guys. There's books in there, too.