Monday, August 11, 2014

Robin Williams: July 21, 1951 - August 11, 2014


There are no words for this one, y'all. This one hurts. A lot.

I didn't know Robin Williams personally, so I'm a little embarrassed about how sad I feel about his passing. I've been sad about celebrity deaths in the past. But this one? This one is extremely personal.

Robin Williams was an actor that dominated movies and TV from the 70s and into the 90s. I have seen so many of his movies. Growing up, there were two men that made my favorite movies. One was Bill Murray. The other was Robin Williams.

Robin Williams was a hero to me. I admired his energy, his wit, and his incrediblely sharp and quick mind. A annecdote that I'm sure everyone knows by this point: the merchant's scene at the beginning of Aladdin, where he's going through all his stuff he's selling and rattling off jokes and puns, was completely ad-libbed by Williams based on a bunch of random junk the filmmakers put on a table in the booth with him.

The only comedian I can think of that had Williams speed and wit with jokes is Groucho Marx, and he was big mostly in the 30s and 40s. That's how rare a gift like Williams' is. We'll probably not see another like him in our lifetime.

I plan to write more about Williams later, because he means a good goddamned lot to me, but right now I just wanted to mark his passing and say: Robin, you will be missed. Thank you for everything you did for me growing up. Thank you for making me laugh.

And on one final note, unfortunately, it seems that Williams killed himself this morning. He had always been open about his mental issues and his drug problems. If you feel like there's no way out, please seek help. There's another way.

The National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
The Arkansas Crisis Center: 1-888-274-7472

They are all available 24/7.