Friday, September 19, 2014

Happy Birthday to My Wife

Actually, her birthday was yesterday, but I didn't post about this yesterday because I was busy with work and with, well, actually being with my wife. While I always try to do something special for her, this year, I wanted to really do something special. This year, I got inspired.

First, she's not a comic reader really, like, at all. I've tried to get her to read something--ANYTHING, but nothing has really caught her interest. Then she found Detective Honeybear, a Kickstarter comic created by Alex Zalben and Josh Kenfield. There were only two issues, but she bought them both and devoured them. She's read them repeatedly, even had me read them outloud to try to mimic what we thought Detective Honeybear (a teddy bear who is also a detective) might sound like.

There hasn't been a new issue in a while, just the first two. She was disappointed that there wasn't more to read. While I'd love to keep it going for her, I thought, maybe I could do the next best thing and bring Detective Honeybear to her in person.

It ain't perfect, but thanks to Build-a-Bear and a little costume alteration trickery, I made my wife her very own Detective Honeybear.

Case cwosed!

But probably the best gift of the night was the cake, which I commissioned from a local German bakery that is just amazing.

Obviously, the break out hit of the summer (year?) is Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean, that's not even a question, right? And dancing baby Groot is, without question, the greatest thing on this planet, right? So why not have a Baby Groot cake?


This cake was made by Bizzy Bees, and if you live in the Northwest Arkansas area, I highly recommend you give them a try for some baked stuff.

Anyway, it was a great birthday. I love my wife very much, and it was nice to be able to do something nice for her this year, something special.

Happy birthday, sweetheart.