Wednesday, October 1, 2014

And That's Time

From Wikipedia
This is a post that is so completely not anything special that I cringe to write it, but it's my blog and I often post thing that I personally am thinking about and going through. So, y'know, bear with me.

I've been thinking a lot about time management lately and how I'm not very good at it. I have a lot of things that I want to do, and I'm not very good at getting to all of them. I'm also not very good at prioritizing where I can get to some of the things some of the time.

Sometimes, I get inspired, and I rush through a day trying to accomplish as many of the things as possible before collapsing into bed far too late and having to drag myself out of bed early the next morning to try to do it again. This kind of furious sprint through activities doesn't usually  make it past 1 or 2 days.

Sometimes, I try to schedule my time out so that I can get to different activities on different days. This technically should be a workable schedule except for 2 things: 1) There is almost always some pressing matter that fucks up my schedule, which forces me to re-prioritize--which I've already admitted not being good at, or 2) I find that scheduling out every minute of my day stretching on into infinity is something that I just can't handle and I start to crave spontaneity, reading when I should be writing, writing when I should be reading, watching great gluts of TV when I should be doing either of those other things.

Things that almost always go by the wayside? Basic household chores. My house is usually a mess. The dishes are sporadically done. We eat out too much because I don't want to cook.

So the problem comes, how can I get to all of the activities that I want to accomplish--reading some, writing some, watching a little TV--and still get to the activities that I need to do--dishes, laundry, cooking.

I get off work at 5, but I don't actually get home until around 5:30--on a good day. If I want to sleep well and not feel like waking is being punched in the face by an angry sun god, I need to get to bed around 10:00. So I have about 4 1/2 hours, on a good day, to get things done in the afternoon and evening.

This is a question that literally everybody faces. I get that. And, like I said at the top, I realize that there is absolutely nothing new about this post or struggle to anyone in the world. But it frustrates me that each time I try to get my days into something resembling a schedule, it falls apart. It's like my brain immediately rebels at the first sign of structure. If I try to tell myself I'm going to come home, watch The Daily Show while I eat, and then go do the dishes, I'll freak out, go hide in the office for several hours, and watch random YouTube videos, all the while screaming, "YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO, BRAIN!"

I hope to figure this thing out soon. Maybe I'll try the scheduling thing aga--

*sprints away to the office*

*sounds of cat videos playing*

SHUT UP, BRAIN, YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!!