Monday, January 26, 2015

Goals

License Attribution  Some rights reserved by laffy4k
This year has been rough. Granted it's only the first month, but still, things have not improved from October, November, December...they're still pretty rough. Each time we put out one fire, something else seems to flare up. It's frustrating and dispiriting. 
I don't mean to be down. I mean, I have a house, I still have a job, we're keeping pace with our bills so far. We're not in the worst position in the world. But it is still difficult.

But we'll get through it.

 The way I've been trying to handle all the rough times of late is to focus on the things I can control. That really comes down to how my wife and I treat ourselves outside of work, and my writing. So I've put a lot of thought into ways to eat as healthy as possible while sacrificing the quality of some foods for price. I've always been working on my writing three times a day.

One thing that has me happy is I have two stories that have been redrafted and are nearing workshoping, which means I'm getting nearer to submitting them. Will they get accepted? I dunno. But I'll keep trying. I'll submit both of them everywhere I possibly can. Meanwhile, I'll get to work on more writing.

I'd like to have something published by the end of the year. Just one thing. It would be great if this were the year.

Ah, but see, that's not something I can control. I catch myself thinking it from time to time, and it is a Thing I would like to happen. But I can't MAKE an editor decide to buy my stuff. I mean, not without crossing into some dark Annie Wilkes territory, and no one wants to see me do that...again...  So instead I've been focusing on what I can control: utilizing my time to write more frequently, and really pushing myself to improve as a writer.

The one thing I'd like to figure out how to do is work in more reading. Last year wasn't a very good year for reading, and I'd like to stay on top of my game. That said, that's one plate that's made of shatter-proof material, so if it falls, I'm not terribly concerned.

I don't have specific resolutions in mind. I'm not in a place where I want to see failures spelled out for me if they don't work out. But I do have vague goals that I want to work toward. And for now, that will do. That won't give me a destination, but it gives me a road sign to steer me in the right direction.