Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Writing Wednesday: My Mind Naturally Turns to Taxidermy


It's that time of week again: when I strip down, coat myself in olive oil and perform an elaborate nude umbrella dance dance on the tables of the local brewery. It's also Writing Wednesday, where I place words in a certain order under previously defined headings to facilitate an approximation of communication.

What I'm Reading

Nothing new to place here. I'm still working on Half-Resurrection Blues and Dark Corner. I'm about halfway through HRB, and I'm about 3/4 done with DC. One or both will be finished very soon. Then I'll start contemplating the impossible decision of what to read next. (So...many...choices...)

What I'm Writing

I've decided to put "Father's Day" on the back burner for a while and let it jostle around in my mind fields for a while, gathering whatever mossy bits and sludge it might be able to collect. In the mean time, I just completed a story that is now going around on submission, which is exciting and scary, as per usual.

As it stands, I have two options in front of me: I can either revise/edit a story and get it ready for submissions as well, or I can work on something new. I've been trying to alternate between revising and new creations, but I'm leaning toward revision at this time.

What Works for Me

Beta readers. Specifically, the awesome Emma Maree agreed to beta read a story of mine (the very same one that is out on submission right now if you were wondering).

I have a tendency to rewrite things over and over and over again until I get them exactly write, which makes my output very slow. It's something I'm trying to work on so I can increase my output, but I have it on good authority that it at least results in very clean drafts! Eventually, though, I can no longer tell if I'm changing things and making them better, or if they're just changing.


I was very grateful that Emma offered to read my stuff. Having another set of eyes on my work helped twofold: it clarified places where I wasn't clear, and it pointed it bad habits that I have. Oh, and a third thing: it let me know the story wasn't the steaming pile of cow shit I thought it was.

What Else I've Been Up To

Over the weekend I got to see one of my best friends, Brooke Johnson. You can catch her on Twitter, but you're way more likely to find her on her Tumblr, and she's one of the seven people still using Google+.

It was great catching up with her. We got stupid drunk! Well...my wife, her husband, and I got stupid drunk while she remained slightly buzzed but mostly sober, which is how we managed to convince her to make us waffles at 11:30 at night.

They were delicious.

We talked about all manner of things and played our newly expanded Smash Up sets and generally had a great time.

HEY DID YOU KNOW SHE GOT A BOOK DEAL????

HERE HERE HERE IS THE LINK CLICK IT PREORDER IT YOU WILL WANT TO SHOVE IT IN YOUR EYES HOLES DO IT NAOW.

HERE'S THE COVER IT'S PRETTY.


That's all I have for now. What's new with you?