Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Writing Wednesday (Shut Up, It's Still Technically Wednesday)


I need to blog more. Okay, "need" is probably the wrong phrasing. Needing more bloggers is like needing more crime procedural dramas on TV, there's too many already, and most of them are pretty boring. But I am a special snowflake and everything I do is completely original and has never been done before, 100% unique, no rip offs, no copycats, no way.

So anyway I'm copying the awesome Emma Maree's idea for posts called "Writing Wednesday." I like blogging, but 1) I'm busy, 2) I'm lazy, 3) a lot of the stuff I think to write about is too short for a proper full post dedicated to it, 4) the stuff is also too long for me to just rant on about it on Twitter (although I do that a lot, too). The structure of Writing Wednesday is perfect for that.

Without further ado:

What I'm Reading

If you follow me on Twitter, you might have seen me go on occasionally about how audiobooks are pretty awesome. My reading habits were slowing to a crawl. I try to read about 25 books a year--although I'm usually happy to hit about 20. Last year between laziness, apathy, lack of time, and a bit of depression (which aided the apathy) I read 12, which is just disappointing. 

But then I discovered audiobooks, which is reading for the lazy. I mean this in the best way possible. There might be times where I go, "ugh, I just can't read anymore!" But if someone is reading TO me? Oh, shit, man. I have to be pretty fucking lazy if I can't listen, y'know?

So, anyway, I just finished up two really good books that I'd like to do more of a write-up for sometime. For fiction, I just finished The Good House by Tananarive Due. For non-fiction I finished up The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander. 


The Good House is a fantastic horror story that is exactly the kind of horror novel I love to read the most: normal people confronting the dark unknown in their own setting. I took a chance on Tananarive Due last year after seeing her on a "best contemporary horror writers" list, and I'm glad I did. She's quickly become one of my go-to authors.

The New Jim Crow could be considered horror, too, but only because of the horrifying implications mass incarceration has on our society. This book not only compares mass incarceration to the old Jim Crow laws of the south, but also traces the history of the Jim Crow predecessors and how the attitudes reflected in Jim Crow persisted by just slapping on a new coat of paint.

What I'm Writing

I just finished a short story that I'm calling "Face Time" at the moment. It has been sent off to be beta read. By the way, if you'd like to become a beta reader and don't mind horror and swearing, email me. Betas--I NEEDS THEM. I also went through and lightly revised another story that has been making the rounds and sent it back out. We'll see on that one.

I have a few ideas for stories kicking around, including the urge to try out some flash fiction again, and I've got another story that I could edit, but I'm sort of between projects currently. I've been taking the week off to read, watch TV with the wife, and do whatever other creative things I want. Unfortunately, none of those have included cleaning the house.

What Works For Me

Reading (or listening) to a good story. Sometimes, I get into a depressed, apathetic state and I just do not give a shiiiiiiiit about my writing. One thing that's helped me occasionally is to go find a good story or book and read. If it's something I really like, it'll fire me up and remind me of the reasons I love writing. The Good House did this. Listening to episodes of Pseudopod does as well. (I recommend this one.)

What Else I've Been Up To

If you've been to my site before, you probably notice the new theme. I'm pretty proud of it myself. The old computery looking stuff was a little too techy to fit me. I'm much more Addams Family/The Munsters than I am Tech Nerd.

It was also my birthday recently. My wife got me some cool gifts--including a FREAKING CAPTAIN MARVEL FIGURINE! She stands proudly next to my Gamora, ready to kick any and all asses that get in their way. 

My wife also got me the coolest cake since the one I got her for her birthday.


Then, that weekend, we met up with my brother and went bowling where I bowled a 112, which may be the highest score I've ever gotten in bowling. I also had beer. It was a good weekend.

What have y'all been up to? Fire off below if you're so inclined.