Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Writing Wednesday: I'd Love to Wear a Rainbow Every Day

IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE THE NEXT LUCKY PARTICIPANT OF WRIIIIIITING WEDNESDAAAAAAAY!

No cheeky graphics or anything like that this time. I'm too busy.

You know the drill. Let's get to it.

What I'm Reading

I love learning things. It's funny that I hated school so much because post-school, I've been obsessed with learning as much as I can about as many things as I can. After a graduated college, it was almost like somebody ripped off my blinders and said, "Hey! Look at all this stuff you didn't know was here!"

I've been researching the southern US because, in spite of living here, I don't actually know that much about the history beyond, "Jim Crow, and then all the black people were equal! Yay!"

Which...is obviously not the case.

I stumbled on a movement in the punk/hardcore/rock community called "Afropunk." It can encompass a number of genres besides just punk rock. I watched the fantastic documentary Afropunk, which is available (seemingly legally--like, the official Afropunk YouTube Channel?), and you should watch it.

And then, as is my wont when I discover a new topic, I went on Amazon and fell deep into its wells, adding tons of books on the subject to my wishlist. And bought one (for now). It's called, What Are You Doing Here?: A Black Woman’s Life and Liberation in Heavy Metal. It's by Canadian journalist Laina Dawes, and it provides a look into a movement I didn't even know existed until recently. I'm really enjoying it, and I recommend it along with the linked documentary above if you're interested in learning more about the topic.

What I'm Writing

Not much presently. I'm working on some work stuff and trying to get a few affairs in order, so most of my time of late hasn't been spent writing. I've been able to squeeze in an episode of Tales from the Crypt before bed sometimes, or grab an episode or two of Sense8 (which I am LOVING), but then it's been back to work.

I'd rather be writing, but hopefully everything will pan out like I want it to.

BEFORE I got swept up in the mess of stuff, I was working hardcore on plotting my novel, codenamed Werewolf Bar Mitzvah: SPOOKY! SCARY!

I was also working on trying to pare down a short story for submission. But, again, back burner stuff for now. Hopefully not for too much longer.

What Works for Me

I've been reading a bunch on plotting and one thing that has REALLY worked for me is asking questions. Every time I get stuck on something and I'm not sure where to go, I write question at the top of the page and freewrite/brainstorm for 15 minutes or so, then try to take all those notes and compile them into something useful.

It hasn't been perfect, but it's been pretty solidly useful.

What Else I've Been Up To

Not much, honestly. Existing? I tried to start another book on top of What Are You Doing Here?, but I just don't have my head in reading anything much at all presently. I've got an Audible credit ready to use and I just cannot for the life of me decide what I want to use it on.