Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Writing Wednesday: A Cornucopia of Opiates Have Flooded My Head

“Quite so,” Holmes answered, lighting a cigarette, and throwing himself down into an armchair. “You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear. For example, you have frequently read my blog.”

“Frequently," I replied.

“How often?” 

“Well, some hundreds of times.” 

“Then what shall I post today?” 

“Well...I don't know. I haven't the foggiest.”

“Quite so! You have not observed. It's Wednesday. Writing Wednesday, Watson, you old sod."
What I'm Reading

I just finished a fantastic book by Sarah Langan called The Keeper. I'm a sucker for horror novels set in contemporary small towns. There's something about small towns, where everyone knows everyone else's business, where you're frequently cut off from the more populated areas. It's so easy for
something to go wrong and for nobody to know. It's how we manage to read so many news articles in which horrible or bizarre things are happening in little podunk towns nobody has ever heard of.

Langan's book was crazy good. Not only was the horror well done and the characters compelling, there was just enough off-kilter strangeness to make this book really grip you from the get-go. And about halfway through the book, everything you think you know about the story gets upended and you're left in awe as this bizarre, haunting, beautifully written tragedy unfolds in ways that are almost surreal at times. I plan to pick up the sequel as soon as I can.

What I'm Writing

Still plugging away on Werewolf Bar Mitzvah: Spooky! Scary! My overall word count is just over 14,000 words at this point. I'm still very pleased with it, and I'm waiting for that shoe to drop: it will eventually, I'm sure. But so far, I'm still very pleased with how the book is playing out. Still appalled by my actual prose, but whatever.

What Works for Me

Making sure I've made writing a priority. It's so easy to come home from work exhausted and, after cleaning, cooking, and whatever else I need to do, just want to veg out or go straight to bed. But making sure I park my butt in front of my computer and do at least 500 words keeps me going. Even if it's just a little, it still gets me ever closer to getting finished.

What Else I've Been Up To

I'm a huge dork. I'm just admitting that up front. I love the 90's sitcom Boy Meets World a whole bunch. It was a show that legitimately meant a lot to me growing up, and as an adult male I made the choice (along with my wife because she, like me, is a dork) to purchase the whole show on dvd when it was finally made available. We have watched those dvds probably 100 times at this point.

We were, naturally, very excited to hear that a spin-off/sequel/new stand-alone show, Girl Meets World was being made, which would follow the daughter of the main characters from the original show. The first season has been added to Netflix, and I'm pleased to say it's just as good as the original show is. Yes, it's a show aimed at 13 year olds. But it's got the same wit and charm the
original had, and it's often humorous to see the show very subtly reference the old show in various ways throughout the storyline.

One caveat: the pilot is just god-awful. Like...so bad. It's clunky, structurally all over the place. There's no clear story or direction. And it's so ham-fisted it's like some sort of genetic experiment went wrong and its fists were replaced with actual hams.

But after that first bad episode, which you could honestly skip and miss really nothing, the rest of the show is great if you like cheesy pre-teen shows based on old 90's US sitcoms.

To quote Eric Matthews: "I think I finally found my niece!"