Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Writing Wednesday: Motherfucker, I'll Be Back From the Dead Soon

The sirens start up. The world is all deafening screeching and flashing red lights. The scientists look at each other from inside their hazmat suits. They don't have time to move before the glass doors slide shut, sealing them in.

"Sorry, gents," says the man at the controls, twisting the ends of his handlebar mustache nervously. "You know how it goes. Protocol and all that."

"But, Steve, we're not the ones in danger!"

The man with the handlebar mustache turns and cries out in terror. Writing Wednesday stands in the doorway, wreathing in a sickly yellow light. It moves toward the man.

What I'm Reading

I'm still making my way through Aftermath, and still enjoying it very much.

I usually have about eleventy billion books going at the same time. So while I'm listening to Aftermath, I'm also reading Kameron Hurley's Empire Ascendant. I'm super glad I preordered the book last year, as, even though I didn't get it finished before it properly came out, I have the eARC on
my phone, which lets me read it on my lunch break at work. It's also great.

Honestly, though, I'm hunting for something somewhat spooky to read/listen to for the remainder of the month. It is October, after all. If I have some money when I finish up Empire Ascendant, I'm tempted to pick up Bimiangus by J.B. Rockwell, or Voice of the Blood by Jemiah Jefferson.

I'm also thinking about getting Night Film on audiobook with my latest Audible credit. Or maybe something by Sarah Pinborough.

Like I said...eleventy billion books.

What I'm Writing

I had a great couple of writing days over the weekend. Got around 5000 words on Werewolf Bar Mitzvah: SPOOKY! SCARY! The book is now around 33,000 words, which is exciting. Replotting the book really helped me hit my stride again.

I also added a sinister ice cream truck that plays terrible Kidz Bop-style covers of gospel songs. Can you imagine anything more terrifying? Because I can't.

I have another day off coming up here eventually, and I'm going to try to get more words down, then.

I think I like rewriting more than writing, weirdly enough. I can riff off myself and get more interesting stuff than the stuff I come up with initially.

What Else I've Been Up To

As I mentioned yesterday, the wife and I went to a corn maze over the weekend, which was tons of fun. Then we met up with my friend, Brooke Johnson, and played a game of Betrayal at House on the Hill. And then we played some more of Risk: Godstorm. But we can never finish a game. We always start them too late, ha ha.

In the meantime, I've been trying to watch as many horror movies as I can this month. I can't commit to one every day as I just don't have the time. But I can do at least one per weekend, and probably two a weekend or so. So we've been watching movies. I'm going to write a post about that here soon. I love spoopy movies. I'm such a sucker.

Speaking of spoopy: CRIMSON PEAK COMES OUT SOON AND I HAVE EXCITES!

Unrelated to all that: I've also been interested in trying to learn some programming, but I can't think of any free time I have to set aside to look into it/learn it. I'll have to make the time, I suppose, if I really want to learn it, though.

And that's my week in a nutshell. How was yours?