Friday, November 20, 2015

Housekeeping

Hello, everyone. Long time no read, right?

This blog post is like a robotic maid from the year 2062 in that it's all about some housekeeping.

So, I disappeared from the internet for, like, a while. It's because life, as it so often does, blew up. If you were following me on Twitter earlier this year, you probably saw my posts and sort of desperate attempts to gather any sort of income because I had just been laid off.

I was laid off from a job that, frankly, I kind of hated but desperately needed because it paid really well--at least for where I live. Losing that put us in a really tight spot, obviously, so I was desperate to find work anywhere doing anything.

Since then, I've found a job that I really, really enjoy in spite of some screwy scheduling and generally being very hectic and stressful. In fact, it's sort of weird, but this is the first job I've had that hasn't made me actively angry and sad.

All of that sounds great, and it is, but there was a downside. My new job pays way less than my previous job. So we've since run into some financial trouble. After a lot of soul searching, we've decided we need to drastically reduce our expenses, which included selling the house that we bought and lived in for almost two years.

It's definitely sad. We had a lot of dreams when we bought this house, a lot of plans that we were making that got put on the back burner when money became such a limited resource.

Renting a house would mean substantially higher rent than our house payment, so we've been apartment hunting instead, which will mark the first time we've lived in an apartment in 5 or 6 years. That means getting rid of a lot of stuff that we've accrued over the past several years because we're substantially reducing our living space. 

As sad as it is, we're also kind of excited about it. The rent payments are quite a bit less than the house payments. We won't be tied to any particular place. I won't have to mow the lawn anymore. I won't have to worry about the cost or aggravation of fixing things that may break around the house. So in many ways this is a positive change.

So far at least, things seem to be working out okay. I don't want to jinx it because there's still plenty of places where things could turn, but someone made an offer on the house--which we accepted--and we have an apartment opening lined up in about 2 weeks. If all goes according to plan, our house will close in about a month and we can close the book on this chapter of our lives and fully commence our fresh start before Christmas. That is a crazy fast turn around, and I'm so, so, so, so happy that things seem to be working out so well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they continue to do so.

In related news, I'm super glad we found a place that we can move into because the alternative was living with my brother in his one bedroom apartment until we found something. I love my brother. But three people sharing a one bedroom apartment would be a tad of a strain. We asked him about moving in if we couldn't find a place and, while he agreed, it was pretty obvious that he was reaaaally not excited about it. And I don't really blame him. I wasn't either. It would've turned my commute to work from 10 minutes to an hour, and my wife's commute even longer as she'd have to drop me off and pick me up since we only have one car. 

Having a place before Christmas almost means that I can hang up my Christmas decorations! My tree can go up!!! Yaaaaay!!!!! CHRISTMAAAAS!!!! AAAAAAHHHHH!!!

So that's how things are going right now. It's been highs and lows for a couple of months, but it looks like things might be turning around in a very unexpectedly pleasant way. Fingers crossed that that continues.

P.S. Can you tell I've been binge-watching the Vlogbrothers? Because I've been binge-watching the hell out of some Vlogbrothers.

P.P.S. I kind of hate that I had to use "that that" in that last sentence. Curse you English for your confusing and ridiculous constructions!