Sunday, October 9, 2016

My Comics Project Update: September 2016


As part of my on-going comics project, I update monthly with what comics I bought and anything weird or interesting I stumbled across. Each post will have a running list, and I'll update with the new titles where they fall chronologically.

I came up with the order of the books from this comment of all the Batman trades in chronological order (up to Flashpoint), this trade reading order list for Superman, and this one for Batman. I judged the rest for myself based on release dates and what the story depicted.

I want this list functional and readable, so I didn't focus on perfect chronological order. I tried to keep decent chunks of individual runs together where possible, then backtrack chronologically if necessary for a chunk of a different title--except in cases where something important was introduced, like a character dying, coming back to life, etc.

Below you'll see the list of canon DC titles that I own at this point. The ones in bold are the ones that I got this month.
  1. Crisis On Infinite Earths
  2. Batman: Dark Victory
  3. Justice League International, Vol. 1
  4. Justice League International, Vol. 2
  5. Justice League International, Vol. 3
  6. The Death of Superman
  7. Impulse: Reckless Youth
  8. Young Justice: A League of Their Own
  9. JLA Titans: Technis Imperative
  10. Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: Of Like Minds
  11. JLA: The Hypothetical Woman
  12. Superman/Batman Vol. 1: Public Enemies
  13. Superman/Batman Vol. 2: Supergirl
  14. Teen Titans Vol. 1: A Kid's Game
  15. Teen Titans Vol. 2: Family Lost
  16. Teen Titans Vol. 3: Beast Boys and Girls
  17. Teen Titans Vol. 4: The Future is Now
  18. Teen Titans/Outside​rs: The Insiders
  19. Teen Titans: The Death and Return of Donna Troy
  20. The OMAC Project (Countdown to Infinite Crisis)
  21. Infinite Crisis
  22. Batman: Face the Face by James Robinson
  23. Superman: Up, Up, and Away!
  24. Superman: Back in Action
  25. Superman: Last Son of Krypton 
  26. Superman: Camelot Falls, Vol. 1
  27. Superman: Camelot Falls (Vol. 2)
  28. Blue Beetle (Book 1): Shellshocked
  29. Blue Beetle (Book 2): Road Trip
  30. Superman: The Third Kryptonian
  31. Superman: Redemption
  32. Superman: Escape from Bizarro World
  33. Superman: Shadows Linger
  34. Time Masters: Vanishing Point
  35. Superman: Action Comics, Vol. 1: Superman and the Men of Steel
  36. Justice League, Vol. 1: Origin (The New 52)
  37. Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls
  38. Batman Vol. 2: The City of Owls
  39. Batgirl Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection (The New 52)
  40. Batgirl Vol. 2: Knightfall Descends
  41. Batwing Vol. 1: The Lost Kingdom
  42. Justice League Vol. 2: The Villain's Journey
  43. Aquaman Vol. 1: The Trench (The New 52)
  44. Aquaman Vol. 2: The Others (The New 52)
  45. Aquaman Vol. 3: Throne of Atlantis (The New 52)
  46. Batman Vol. 3: Death of the Family
  47. Batgirl Vol. 3: Death of the Family
  48. The Movement Vol. 1: Class Warfare (The New 52)
  49. Secret Six Vol. 1: Friends in Low Places
  50. Bizarro
  51. Cyborg Vol. 1: Unplugged
I actually managed to snag a lot of comics this month, because I hit two amazing sales at the beginning and middle of the month.

My LCS was having a buy-one-get-one-free sale for labor day weekend where I found Batman: Dark Victory, Superman/Batman vols 1 & 2, and JLA: The Hypothetical Woman.

I'm making another judgement call to include that last one in the list. I googled it, and I couldn't find anything that said it was or wasn't canon. After I read it, I might remove it, but that remains to be seen.

I got Secret Six Vol. 1 (New 52), Bizarro, and Cyborg vol. 1 (New 52) at Hastings while on a road trip with my wife. Sadly, Hastings is going out of business, which hurts because that store was incredibly important to us in college. They were selling graphic novels 70% off, so I grabbed up those three and a couple Marvel titles. I'll have to write up how bizarre it was to experience that, but I was still stoked at the amazing deals I got.

I liked Batman/Superman Public Enemies--Super Friends is my second favorite version of Clark and Bruce, after Super Dads. Supergirl was...fine. She was okay. But I had a hard time connecting to her, and she was obviously just there half the time for boobs and butt, which got old and annoying incredibly fast. And by "incredibly fast," I mean the instant she appeared wrapped in blanket, I said, "Nope!" closed the book, and went to bed for the night.

I haven't read Dark Victory yet because I don't have The Long Halloween--it was at my LCS the day before the sale started, but when I hurried over at lunch to check the shelves, it had already been snatched up, sadly.

And finally: I do not like the Outsiders at all. what little I read of them was weird, grim, and annoying. Very 90's tastic. I rolled my eyes so much, I upset my equilibrium and nearly fell out of the bed. I only bought The Death and Return of Donna Troy because the Teen Titans series I'm collecting starts right after Donna's death, and when she popped back up in the title, I didn't want to be like, "Wait wait wait...when did she come back???" But honestly, the book sucks. Both stories included suck.

The Death of Donna Troy--aka Graduation Day--is awful because it kills off one of the early members of the Titans with essentially a shrug and is overwritten in the kind of narration heavy, tell-don't-show bullshit that plagued the 90's and the New 52 when DC decided to be "Comic's Industry's 'I Love the 90's!'"

The Return of Donna Troy--aka ...well...The Return of Donna Troy--sucks because it is heavily entangled into the Rann–Thanagar War, which I could not give a shit about. Space stuff is a hard sell for me in comics sometimes because it seems like characterization gets neglected in favor of SPAAAACE BAAAATLES. Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the pre-New 52 Olympian gods, but the entire story--Donna dying, but also not really because she came back to life and only remembered being an Olympian Titan, and she's married to and loves her Brother-Husband and they needed the Rann-Thanagar's to die or something because alternate universes and blahblahblahblahblahblah.

The writers picked possibly the most convoluted way they could have brought her back possible. I know that for Donna Troy, that's sort of a given since her entire existence is one massive series of retcons, but...Jesus I just didn't care.

Anyway, so this month was mostly exciting stuff, and some stuff that I only got because of completion's sake. I look forward to getting some new stuff (and maybe raiding a Halloween sale?) this month.