Wednesday, January 18, 2017

My Comics Project Final 2016 Update


As part of my on-going comics project, I update monthly with what comics I bought and anything weird or interesting I stumbled across. Each post will have a running list, and I'll update with the new titles where they fall chronologically.

I came up with the order of the books from this comment of all the Batman trades in chronological order (up to Flashpoint), this trade reading order list for Superman, and this one for Batman. I judged the rest for myself based on release dates and what the story depicted.

I want this list functional and readable, so I didn't focus on perfect chronological order. I tried to keep decent chunks of individual runs together where possible, then backtrack chronologically if necessary for a chunk of a different title--except in cases where something important was introduced, like a character dying, coming back to life, etc.

Below you'll see the list of canon DC titles that I own at this point. The ones in bold are the ones that I got this month.
  1. Crisis On Infinite Earths
  2. Batman: Dark Victory
  3. Justice League International, Vol. 1
  4. Justice League International, Vol. 2
  5. Justice League International, Vol. 3
  6. The Death of Superman
  7. Impulse: Reckless Youth
  8. JLA: A League of One
  9. Young Justice: A League of Their Own
  10. JLA Titans: Technis Imperative
  11. Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: Of Like Minds
  12. JLA: The Hypothetical Woman
  13. Superman/Batman Vol. 1: Public Enemies
  14. Superman/Batman Vol. 2: Supergirl
  15. Teen Titans Vol. 1: A Kid's Game
  16. Teen Titans Vol. 2: Family Lost
  17. Teen Titans Vol. 3: Beast Boys and Girls
  18. Teen Titans Vol. 4: The Future is Now
  19. Teen Titans/Outside​rs: The Insiders
  20. Teen Titans: The Death and Return of Donna Troy
  21. The OMAC Project (Countdown to Infinite Crisis)
  22. Infinite Crisis
  23. Batman: Face the Face by James Robinson
  24. Superman: Up, Up, and Away!
  25. Superman: Back in Action
  26. Superman: Last Son of Krypton 
  27. Superman: Camelot Falls, Vol. 1
  28. Superman: Camelot Falls (Vol. 2)
  29. Blue Beetle (Book 1): Shellshocked
  30. Blue Beetle (Book 2): Road Trip
  31. Blue Beetle (Book 3): Reach for the Stars
  32. Blue Beetle, Book 4: Endgame
  33. Superman: The Third Kryptonian
  34. Superman: Redemption
  35. Superman: Escape from Bizarro World
  36. Superman: Shadows Linger
  37. Time Masters: Vanishing Point
  38. Superman: Action Comics, Vol. 1: Superman and the Men of Steel 
  39. Justice League, Vol. 1: Origin (The New 52)
  40. Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls 
  41. Batman Vol. 2: The City of Owls 
  42. Batgirl Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection (The New 52)
  43. Batgirl Vol. 2: Knightfall Descends 
  44. Batwing Vol. 1: The Lost Kingdom
  45. Justice League Vol. 2: The Villain's Journey
  46. Justice League International Vol. 1: The Signal Masters
  47. Aquaman Vol. 1: The Trench (The New 52)
  48. Aquaman Vol. 2: The Others (The New 52)
  49. Aquaman Vol. 3: Throne of Atlantis (The New 52)
  50. Batman Vol. 3: Death of the Family 
  51. Batgirl Vol. 3: Death of the Family 
  52. The Movement Vol. 1: Class Warfare (The New 52)
  53. Secret Six Vol. 1: Friends in Low Places
  54. Bizarro
  55. Cyborg Vol. 1: Unplugged
I intended to post more updates in November and December, but, well...you know.

Anyway, this is essentially my update from October's purchases as I didn't buy any other canon DC comics for the rest of the year. I bought a few Marvel titles, and a few indie titles--Ms. Marvel vol 6, Bitch Planet vol 1, and wytches vol 1--I bought some extraneous DC comics--DC Bombshells vol 1--and I got one comic for Christmas--Army of Darkness Omnibus vol 1--but I didn't really have the money or the time to really work on the project much.

I managed to find Blue Beetle vol 4 marked way down from what it was, and I jumped at the chance to get it. Same for Blue Beetle vol 1. One day I checked Amazon and BOOM, it was just cheap. And thankfully, in great condition.

Justice League International Vol. 1: The Signal Masters isn't really the proper Justice League International. It's from the New 52, in which Ted Kord (until Rebirth, anyway) never existed and Jaime has always been the Blue Beetle. That said, I've heard good things, so I picked it up on a lark to fill out a sale my LCS was having.

JLA: A League of One was an impulse purchase because I'd found it online and it looked to be a decent Wonder Woman story. I haven't read it yet, so I can't confirm that, but I'll keep you posted it if is. The absolute dearth of good Wonder Woman stuff compared to the rest of the heroes is frustrating. I'm glad to see them re-releasing Greg Rucka's and George Perez's runs on Wonder Woman, but where's Gail Simone? Or Phil Jimenez? People are practically expecting you to trade one of your limbs for those trades.

I hope, as the weeks and months unfold, to keep at this little project. I actually just the other day got several comics from a Barnes and Noble sale--although half of them were Marvel.

Keep your eyes peeled here for further developments. I hope to post more about comics, books, and generally happy things in 2017 to counter all of the politics I'll likely be posting because...well...I mean...

Happy reading!