I came up with the order of the books from this comment of all the Batman trades in chronological order (up to Flashpoint), this trade reading order list for Superman, and this one for Batman. I judged the rest for myself based on release dates and what the story depicted.
I want this list functional and readable, so I didn't focus on perfect chronological order. I tried to keep decent chunks of individual runs together where possible, then backtrack chronologically if necessary for a chunk of a different title--except in cases where something important was introduced, like a character dying, coming back to life, etc.
Below you'll see the list of canon DC titles that I own at this point. The ones in bold are the ones that I got this month.
- Crisis On Infinite Earths
- Batman: Dark Victory
- Justice League International, Vol. 1
- Justice League International, Vol. 2
- Justice League International, Vol. 3
- The Death of Superman
- Impulse: Reckless Youth
- Justice League: A League of One
- JLA Titans: Technis Imperative
- Young Justice: A League of Their Own
- Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: Of Like Minds
- Superman/Batman Vol. 1: Public Enemies
- Superman/Batman Vol. 2: Supergirl
- JLA: The Hypothetical Woman
- Teen Titans Vol. 1: A Kid's Game
- Teen Titans Vol. 2: Family Lost
- Teen Titans Vol. 3: Beast Boys and Girls
- Teen Titans Vol. 4: The Future is Now
- Teen Titans/Outsiders: The Insiders
- Teen Titans: The Death and Return of Donna Troy
- The OMAC Project (Countdown to Infinite Crisis)
- Infinite Crisis
- Teen Titans Vol. 5: Life and Death*
- Batman: Face the Face by James Robinson
- Superman: Up, Up, and Away!
- Superman: Back in Action
- Superman: Last Son of Krypton
- Superman: Camelot Falls, Vol. 1
- Superman: Camelot Falls (Vol. 2)
- Blue Beetle (Book 1): Shellshocked
- Blue Beetle (Book 2): Road Trip
- Blue Beetle (Book 3): Reach for the Stars
- Blue Beetle, Book 4: Endgame
- Superman: The Third Kryptonian
- Superman: Redemption
- Superman: Escape from Bizarro World
- Superman: Shadows Linger
- Time Masters: Vanishing Point
- Superman: Action Comics, Vol. 1: Superman and the Men of Steel
- Justice League, Vol. 1: Origin (The New 52)
- Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls
- Batman Vol. 2: The City of Owls
- Batgirl Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection (The New 52)
- Batgirl Vol. 2: Knightfall Descends
- Batwing Vol. 1: The Lost Kingdom
- Justice League Vol. 2: The Villain's Journey
- Justice League International Vol. 1: The Signal Masters
- Aquaman Vol. 1: The Trench (The New 52)
- Aquaman Vol. 2: The Others (The New 52)
- Aquaman Vol. 3: Throne of Atlantis (The New 52)
- Batman Vol. 3: Death of the Family
- Batgirl Vol. 3: Death of the Family
- The Movement Vol. 1: Class Warfare (The New 52)
- Justice League United Vol. 1: Justice League Canada
- Justice League United Vol. 2: The Infinitus Saga
- Batgirl Vol. 4: Wanted (The New 52)
- Secret Six Vol. 1: Friends in Low Places
- Cyborg Vol. 1: Unplugged
The Amazon Online Marketplace is weird. Books will be normally priced for months, even years, and then one day, arbitrarily, the prices spikes up to $50, $60, $70. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason, and then just as arbitrarily, book prices will drop back down to the normal range.
Such is the case for Teen Titans Vol. 5: Life and Death. It was normally priced, and then BOOM $70. No reason that there should be a spike, and only for this book, not the rest of the trades in the series.
I'll admit, I wasn't exactly super stoked to get this book. It's just "Infinite Crisis as told by the Teen Titans." And since I've already read Infinite Crisis, I already know what happens to certain members of the team. For completion's sake, I need it, but I was just going to skip it and wait to see if the price dropped. Then I found it for $19 online and decided to get it while the gettin's good. It's starred, like my Blue Beetle volumes from previous updates, because it hasn't come in yet.
The other books were actually books I got as part of a great sale at Barnes and Noble--buy two, get one free doncha know--and I wound up getting quite a few comics. Only 3 of them were DC, though.*
Justice League United looks, honestly, like a proper spiritual successor to Justice League International--at least from the cover. We'll see if it's any good. But "Justice League Canada" has me sold in a big way, plus it's a team that features Supergirl, the Martian Manhunter, and NOT BATMAN.
Batgirl: Wanted was actually me finally following up and trying to finish Gail Simone's Batgirl run. I love Gail Simone's books, but I've been trying to hold off on getting New 52 books until I've bought a few back back trades. But then, I also want to read Rebirth whenever that stuff starts becoming available, so I should try to catch up so I know what's going on.
My continued goals for the time being are to finish up getting Blue Beetle and Teen Titans stuff. This Teen Titans run is stupidly long, so that might take a while. Blue Beetle will take less time. After that, I think I'd like to start collecting the Grant Morrison Damian Wayne Batman saga. Partially because it's really THE defining thing about Final Crisis, and I'd like to start getting the BIG EVENTS that divide up the DC timeline so this thing starts taking more of an obvious timeline shape.
If you have any thoughts about my trades, drop me a line in the comments. Want to discuss books I've recently purchased or read? Any suggestions for books I missed? Just please, no spoilers.
*The other 3 books I got were Marvel: The new Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther, Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur, and the first volume of the post Kelly-Sue Deconnick Captain Marvel before Civil War II assassinates her character.